Now, I’d like to introduce you one of my favourite among the Nordic berries, sea buckthorn, which is a true superberry. Sea buckthorn grows in the northern parts of Scandinavia and is one of the world’s richest berries in beneficial vitamins that can help improve your health:
- 10-20 times more vitamin C than oranges
- Vitamin A and beta carotene as well as carotenoids which are powerful antioxidants and important for your hair and skin
- Vitamin E – also an antioxidant
- B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12 which for example boost your metabolism among other benefits
- Coumarins and oxicoumarins which strengthen and rebuild cell walls
- Flavonoids which prevent cells from oxidation
- Biotin – metabolism, hair, nails
- Folic acid – cell regeneration
- Minerals such as zinc, manganese, calium, magnesium, natrium, calcium
When sea buckthorn is in season, I of course recommend you to use it fresh (delicious), but when it’s not, just purchase frozen sea buckthorn or sea buckthorn powder to enjoy the benefits and taste.
Nordic superfood snackbites
makes around eight balls
What you will need:
2dl prunes (dried plums)
1dl almonds or pecans (I used a mixture: more almonds & less pecans)
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
sea buckthorn powder
How to do it?
- Depending on the power of your food processor, you may start with chopping the almonds roughly or optionally just by processing together right away all ingredients except sea buckthorn powder until a “dough” is formed.
- When you have processed the dough, divide it into about eight parts and roll them into balls. The mixture will be really sticky but don’t worry.
- Spread a generous amount of sea buckthorn powder on your kitchen table or plate and roll the balls in it until thoroughly covered.
- Place the snackbites in an airtight jar allow them to solidify in the fridge for a while before serving. Store at least one week in the fridge (I bet you won’t have any left after a week).