So I made this simple hot spicy stew with a bunch of veggies, lots of spices and some tofu for extra protein, topped it with lots of fresh coriander, organic yogurt and chili flakes. On the side I had some quinoa and a fresh sprout salad to make a complete meal. It was a delicious way to welcome autumn…and I got some leftovers for lunch.
Spicy tofu and vegetable stew
What you will need:
270g firm tofu (plain)
2x 295g cans of chopped tomatoes
1/2 of a medium zucchini
1/4 of a medium broccoli floret
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1 medium red onion
1tbsp coconut oil
1/2tsp ground cumin
Himalayan salt to taste
Preferred extras for serving:
fresh coriander, sprouts/greens , chili flakes, yogurt
How to do it?
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large skillet and add paprika, turmeric and cumin.
- Chop your onion and sautée it on the pan with coconut oil and spices with medium to high heat.
- Dry your tofu, cube it and add it to the pan – mix well with the onions so that the spices get distributed evenly.
- In the meanwhile, chop your vegetables and add them to the pan when the tofu has picked some colour. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomato sauce, reduce the heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook for around 30mins until the broccoli is soft, stirring every once in a while and reducing heat towards the end if needed.
- Taste and add salt to your preference.
- Serve with your choice of yogurt, chili flakes and lots of fresh coriander! (You could also have some quinoa and a salad on the side).
- Don’t forget the coriander!