Red Velvet pancakes
makes about 9 small pancakes
What you will need:
1dl wholegrain spelt flour
1dl oat milk
1tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp ground flaxseed
1 small but not very small beetroot
2/3 banana (leave the rest for toppings)
1tsp maca – I use Organic Burst
1tsp raw cacao powder
1tsp carob powder
1/2tsp vanilla powder
How to do it?
- Start by preparing your flax “eggs” by mixing 2tbsp ground flaxseed with 6tbsp water and then place the mixture in the fridge to build up for about 20mins. Also combine the oat milk with 1tbsp lemon juice and place this “buttermilk” mixture in the fridge as well.
- Peel and chop your beetroot into small cubes and steam (or otherwise cook) it until soft. Set in the fridge to cool down.
- While your beetroot, eggs and buttermilk are waiting in the fridge, pre-heat your pan. Also mix your spelt flour with the maca, cacao, carob and vanilla, then mash the banana in with a fork (you can leave some banana slices for decoration).
- Take your “buttermilk” from the fridge and blend it with the cooked beetroot in a food processor or with a hand blender.
- Check your flax eggs in the fridge. If they already have a thick “egg-like” consistency, add them into the dry ingredients along with the beetroot buttermilk. Mix well with a fork.
- Cook your pancakes from both sides on the pan with a little coconut oil and enjoy them with your favourite toppings. I loved these with some extra banana, blackberries and white currants!