Basically, you can use quinoa flakes just like oats and cook them exactly like oatmeal. Quinoa porridge however is not as “creamy” as oatmeal, so my recipe uses some banana to make the porridge a little creamier and thicker. I also like to add some maca root powder to my porridge for an extra energy boost and some flaxseed for healthy oils and texture. Served with your favourite toppings, this is a true power breakfast (more filling than oatmeal in my opinion) and keeps you easily going until lunch.
Quinoa flake power porridge
What you will need:
1dl quinoa flakes
2dl oat milk
1tbsp ground flaxseed s
1tsp maca (optional for extra boost)
1/2tsp vanilla powder
fresh/dried berries, nut butter, seeds
How to do it:
- Heat up 1dl water and 1dl oat milk in a casserole until almost boiling.
- In the meanwhile, mix your quinoa flakes, vanilla, maca and flaxseeds and then add them to the casserole. Stir.
- Reduce heat and cook for 2-3 minutes until the porridge starts to become thick. Then add 1/2 mashed banana and 1dl oat milk, stir and cook for another 2 minutes until the banana has melted. Add a pinch of Himalayan salt and stir once more.
- Remove the casserole from the heat, cover it and let it sit on the counter for a couple of minutes. You can for example prepare your coffee/tea while waiting.
- Serve with your choice of berries, nuts, seeds and/or nut butter. I had mine with the remaining banana, blackcurrants, raspberries, incaberries and pistachio butter. Enjoy!