The first recipe with the sauce that I could think of was very un-surprisingly an easy oatmeal and since it was weekend, I decided to make a baked version. I used cinnamon as the only spice and didn’t add extra sweeteners because I wanted to keep everything very simple in order not to cover the lovely taste of that freshly homemade applesauce. If you don’t have or want to make your own applesauce, store-bought unsweetened applesauce would work fine with this oatmeal as well, just try to find one made with similar kind of sweet-tart apples.
Baked apple cinnamon oatmeal
What you will need:
1 small sweet-tart apple or 1/2 medium one
1/2dl oat flakes
1/2dl rye flakes
1dl oat milk
1dl applesauce (I use sweet but unsweetened homemade)
1tbsp ground flaxseed
berries, currants, crushed almonds
How to do it?
- Pre-heat your oven to 175c.
- Combine your dry ingredients together in a bowl. Chop your apple into small bites and add them to the dry ingredients.
- Pour the apple/oatmeal mixture in an oven-safe bowl.
- Separately, mix your oat milk and applesauce, then pour the liquid over your dry mixture. Make sure that there’s enough liquid to reach the bottom of your bowl.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until the oatmeal starts to look cooked and you can smell the baking apples and cinnamon.
- Enjoy with your favourite toppings!