Tonight’s new soup recipe combines two of the best seasonal ingredients of the moment, (roasted) butternut squash and apple(sauce). Paired with some protein packed red lentils as well as spicy ginger and cumin, these seasonal goodies turn into the tastiest and creamiest soup I’ve had in a while. In addition to being very flavourful, this soup is ridiculously easy to prepare – actually it almost cooks by itself since you don’t need to spend any active time on cooking once you’ll have the butternut squash in the oven and the lentils in a casserole. Roasting your butternut squash in the oven instead of just boiling it immediately with the other ingredients does not only give the soup a more intense flavour but also saves you from the pain of peeling that raw butternut squash (at last I often experience major difficulties with peeling butternut squashes).
Creamless creamy butternut squash soup
What you will need:
1/2 medium butternut squash
1dl red lentils (measure uncooked)
1dl unsweetened applesauce, mine is pink made of sweet-tart apples*
1 small red onion
1tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp ground cumin
Himalayan salt to taste
Yogurt and herbs for serving (optional)
*This recipe uses 100% pure homemade applesauce that I have tons of in my freezer thanks to my grandmother, but you could use store-bought unsweetened applesauce as well or even chopped apple.
How to do it?
- Pre-heat your oven to 225c.
- Wash your butternut squash and then cut it lengthwise so you have two halves. Place one of the halves into the oven on top of parchment paper and roast for around 35minutes until soft and slightly browned. Ignore the other half.
- While your butternut squash is in the oven, chop your onion, then rinse your lentils and cook them with the chopped onion, ginger and cumin according to package instructions (around 20 minutes).
- When your lentils are cooked, remove them from the heat and wait until the squash is ready.
- When your squash is sligtly browned, take it out of the oven, peel it and cut it into rough pieces. Add the squash into the lentils. If there is a lot of excess cooking water, pour it away until almost no water at all remains.
- Add the applesauce to the other ingredients and process with a stick blender until smooth.
- Add salt to taste and serve with for example yogurt and fresh parsley or coriander + bread. Enjoy!